Live streaming video by Ustream
Regulate Rhode Island will livestream the press conference, which is slated to begin sometime between 3 and 3:30pm ET
Rhode Island Assemblywoman Edith Ajello and Senator Josh Miller will introduce a bill to tax and regulate marijuana like alcohol at a 3pm ET press conference today.
Rhode Island’s Marijuana Regulation, Control and Taxation Act is similar to laws recently passed in Colorado and Washington and would finally end the failed drug war policies that have ravaged families, the economy and the rule of law in communities across the state.
Ajello and Miller are currently looking for other members of the legislature to co-sponsor this critical bill, and the Just Say Now campaign is organizing activists in the state to reach out to their legislators in support.
If you live in Rhode Island, please click here to contact your representatives in the state assembly and senate and ask them to co-sponsor The Marijuana Regulation, Control and Taxation Act.
If passed, The Marijuana Regulation, Control, and Taxation Act would:
- Allow adults 21 and older to possess up to one ounce of marijuana
- Permit individuals to grow up to two plants in an enclosed, locked space
- Establish a tightly regulated system of licensed retail stores, cultivation facilities and testing facilities
- Enact a special 10% sales tax to generate revenue for the state
- Require the Department of Business Regulation to establish rules regulating security, labeling, health and safety requirements.
We’re excited to spend the coming weeks and months working with you to dismantle prohibition in Rhode Island and replace it with a safe, common sense regulatory system. For more information, be sure to follow Just Say Now and Regulate Rhode Island. Thanks in advance for your support.